-
July 15th, 2005, 01:01 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Why is everything I like only for kids [img]graemlins/thumbs_down.gif[/img]
And now I am going to sound like a kid: IITS NOT FAIR!
AG events are always geared for kids. And now I called a bunch of bookstores and they all said adults can COME to their harry potter events tonight but the actual games and stuff are just for the kids. Boohoo. I mean, they don't even start until 10 o clock at night and end at midnight- to me that sounds like adults, but I guess not.
I am just sad and frusterated and annoyed because things that I like, like AG and Harry Potter, are tecnically for kids and so I kinda get excluded, and when I do come, I'm either looked at as silly or I feel uncomfortable because I don't fit in... [img]graemlins/cry_smile.gif[/img]
I am telling you all this because you like AG so I know you know how this feels...
<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ January 21, 2007 08:44 PM: Message edited by: djsnjones ]</font>
-
July 15th, 2005, 01:04 PM
#2
Inactive Member
well, I still haven't heard back yet on my email to AG asking about the adult forum, which means that they must really be looking into it. Normally I get a response within 24 hours, and it's now been almost 60. So, maybe we have that going for us. With the Harry Potter thing...just act like a little kid, and maybe they'll take pity on you and let you play. I agree with you though, it's not fair.
-
July 15th, 2005, 01:24 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Not all HP events are for kids. It depends on the bookstore and the area. A great way to cahnge that is start complaining to the stores. Also, most non-release events are geared towards adults, such as the conventions. My college has a fan club thats geared towards mostly adults and college-age, with both regular meetings and events, but so far as I know, we're unique, though I know many areas have a fanclub that meets once a month, so I would ask around if you go to events, or google a little.
AG is a bit more tough though. I think complaints and e-mails might change things but I wouldn't hold my breath. I wonder though, would a sort of petition work?
-
July 15th, 2005, 01:35 PM
#4
Inactive Member
I totally agree with you. However, I'm only 19 and I'm quite short, so I can pass for 17 if I try. Most of the stuff at the HP midnight parties are, (dare I say it?), childish. Many of the things you wont WANT to participate in. But don't let them stop you from doing anything you want.
But yes, I agree. I think people need to stop calling things "for kids" nothing is FOR kids, some things are made with kids in mind, and some of us have innocent enough minds that we would rather see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory than Wedding Crashers or Dukes of Hazard.
There's nothing wrong with that, and I feel like everytime someone says that something I like is "for children," they're chastizing me and saying I'm immature. And I know I'm not, there's nothing immature about knowing what you like and being willing to like it in public. That shows both courage and maturity.
Participate in whatever HP events/games/contests you want until someone tells you to stop. And then say that you don't think it's fair that only kids can participate because they probably have just as much Harry Potter knowledge as you do! They have the same material at their fingers as you do. The only way you could know more is if you'd already read the new book or (gasp!) were Jo Rowling. They've read the same books you have, and therefore, it would be unfair of the bookstore to say you can't participate.
Trust me, there will be PLENTY of people at your HP party over the age of 17. If nothing else, there's going to be all the parents of the little kids! Don't let the bookstore people ruin the book experience for you, they've no right to do that; this weekend is for ALL HP fans, not just the 13 and unders.
-
July 15th, 2005, 02:01 PM
#5
Inactive Member
We arrived at the bookstore this morning 1/2 hour after they opened for our wristband. We are number 165. Of the 50 or so people in line with us, I only counted about 6 kids. DDs Girl Scout leader told me that the last event she went to, there was hardly any kids at all. Being a Mom of a 9 & 11 year old, let me just say that after a full day, about 10:30 at night, they can start to whine just as well as any 2 & 3 year old! Being a HP fan, I will be right in there with the girls making potions and wands, and whatever else they have. I wouldn't give it a second thought seeing an older person doing the same thing, even without kids with them.
Don't let anybody ruin your time tonight! If I see somebody over the age of 16 at the event we're going to, making the crafts, etc. I'll think about you. I'm a firm believer in live and let live. Do what makes you happy, and who cares what anybody else thinks. AG is well aware of the over 12 fan base. Here's hoping they will do something about it!
-
July 15th, 2005, 02:36 PM
#6
Inactive Member
I don't know why they can't have TWO parties - one in the middle of the night for adults and one early in the morning for the kids. Since you pretty much have to pre-order the books, it would be easy to figure out how many people will be at each party and how old they are - then plan games and activities accordingly. I've never been to a HP event, but an adult-themed party would seem a lot like the Rocky Horror Picture Show - and probably just as fun!
-
July 15th, 2005, 02:44 PM
#7
Inactive Member
Guess what!!!! Well first of al lthank you everybody for your nice posts. But guess what!!!! Today on the front page of our paper was a big huge article about a giant Harry Potter party- welcome to all ages, but the article said it will mostly be grownups!!! And...they are closing off an entire street to have the party in, and all the shops on that street are turning into Harry Potter places. Isn't that cool?
You can check it out if you want, it is from a website called HP-Ohio which is an online club for Ohio people 18 and older who like Harry Potter!
My mom is going to go to it with me and stay until midnight for the release, and in the meantime they're showing the movies, having scavenger hunts and haunted mazes, giving away free stuff, and having a Harry Potter sing-along for grownups!
It is kind a a drive for us and I will miss the first part of it because I work until 5:30 but I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]biggrin.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
-
July 15th, 2005, 02:48 PM
#8
Inactive Member
It's such a coincidence you posted this today. I am feeling the same way right now. Over breakfast I was talking to my mom and brother (who's 17 but at that age where he's obsessed with "fitting in") and they think I'm completely mental for being so excited about HP tonight. They said that they had never met anyone except for kids who liked HP. Now how wrong is THAT? It's the media's fault for mostly portraying HP as a kids event, and then for the stupid stores to keep most of the activities and prizes as kids-only. Then, to make things worse, they dragged AG into the mix and said that AG was just for kids, too.
Now I am, by far, the most mature 20 year old I know. I am a full time student at one of the hardest universities in North America, I have an awesome job as a freelance reporter for a large area newspaper and have commanded the respect of the editors, and I have an internship for which I've been working with an expert in the field of early American furniture to do research. Not to mention I've never done any "stupid" teenagery stuff in my life. Most of the day I act like a 40-year-old professional. So WHY are they giving me such a hard time for liking "kids" stuff in my free time?
I guess I'm also kind of dissapointed that my family is so closed minded about HP and AG. I'm not the least bit embarassed to dress up for a HP party or carry my AG doll out in public - but they're embarassed to be with me when I do so! Now what's wrong with that picture? [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbs_down.gif[/img]
grrrr... what is wrong with the world????!!! [img]frown.gif[/img]
-
July 15th, 2005, 02:49 PM
#9
Inactive Member
Ooops...My subject sounds really bad, doesn't it? Well at the moment I felt really bad and was like, "those kids, they get everything!!" Sorry if saying "those dumb kids" hurt anybody's feelings.
I would change the post title but I don't like when people change the title of their post because I think it makes it hard to find later if someone wants to see it again or something. But if somebody felt bad I will go ahead and change it anyway.
-
July 15th, 2005, 02:50 PM
#10
Inactive Member
we were posting at the same time - congrats for finding an adult party!!! yaaay [img]biggrin.gif[/img] Have a GREAT time!
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks